Canada - Surrey | Winnipeg CA - +17782418054
India - Chandigarh | Malout IN - 9861870000
Canada - Surrey | Winnipeg India - Chandigarh | Malout
Requirements to apply for permanent residency

Requirements to apply for permanent residency

You may be classified as a temporary or permanent resident if you immigrate to Canada. Even though you may have a Permanent Residency (PR), being a permanent resident of Canada does not automatically make you a citizen of that country. You are still most likely a citizen of another country at this stage. A Canadian business investment visa is a great pathway for investors.

You are not a permanent resident if you are an international student or foreign worker who is temporarily studying or working in Canada. This also holds true if you are a visitor to Canada. Let's examine the qualifications for obtaining permanent residency in Canada (PR) in more detail, as well as the rights and restrictions that come with it. Canadian permanent residency is a streamlined process and strict guidelines.

Conditions to Obtain Canadian Permanent Residency

You must not only fulfill the requirements of your selected immigration programs in order to immigrate to Canada and obtain permanent residency but you must also be deemed admissible to Canada. Being in good health, having a clean criminal record, having enough money to maintain your family, and being able to easily settle in Canada are typical requirements for this.

How can I maintain my Canadian permanent residency?

You must fulfill a residency requirement, or be physically present in Canada for a predetermined period of time, to continue to be a permanent resident of Canada. A permanent resident must, unless they fall under one of the following exclusions, spend at least 730 days in Canada during the course of a five-year period.

- you are traveling with your spouse or common-law partner when they are a Canadian citizen;

- if a child is traveling with their parents outside of Canada;

- You are accompanying your spouse or common-law partner on business trips outside of Canada while working full-time for a Canadian company; you are working for the federal government of Canada or a Canadian province, or your spouse or common-law partner is a Canadian citizen.

What Can You Do If You Are a Canadian Permanent Residency resident?

- Obtain social benefits, such as admission to Canada's government healthcare program Medicare.

- Residing, studying, or working in Canada (so long as you meet the requirements of the province or territory you choose to live in)

Apply for citizenship in Canada

As a permanent resident, you are entitled to protection (the Canadian government is required by law and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms to protect you), yet there are some activities you are not allowed to do. You cannot, for instance, vote, run for office, or hold a position requiring a high degree of security clearance.

Permanent Resident Card for Canada

- You need to have your Canadian permanent residency with you if you plan to travel overseas. It can be used to prove your status as a permanent resident of Canada as well as to re-enter its borders.

- A Permanent Resident Travel Document is required if you have lost your Permanent Resident Card in order to enter Canada again. One entry into Canada with this document is permitted just once.

Loss of Canadian Permanent Residence

Your permanent resident (PR) status in Canada is perpetual and cannot be lost automatically. However, your PR card may become invalid and need to be reissued. You will need to experience an in order to lose your permanent resident status.

You risk losing your Canadian permanent residency if you:

- For any application—for citizenship, permanent residency, or anything else

- provided fabricated data from your sponsor

- provided false information in support of a refugee claim

- either before or after becoming a permanent resident of Canada, committing a major offense (unless you receive a pardon for your crime, or meet other requirements)

- lived outside of Canada for more than three years in a five-year period.

- are thought to pose a threat to the Canadian government because of:

a. Spying

b. Treason

c. either terrorism

d. You've been deemed a security risk.

- Associated with a terrorist or criminal group or

- war crimes, crimes against humanity, or abuses of human rights

- You must file an application to IRCC if you want to voluntarily surrender your PR status.

How long must you remain in Canada to maintain your status as a permanent resident?

If you are a permanent resident, you must stay in Canada for a minimum of two years during the course of five years. You risk losing your status as a permanent resident if you stay outside of Canada for more than three years.

How much time does it take to become a Canadian permanent resident?

The processing period for Express Entry ranges from 6 to 8 months, whereas other programs, such as family sponsorship, can take up to a year. This primarily depends on the immigration program you've chosen. 

Whether Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) have all the essential paperwork on hand to finish the application procedure is another factor. Once the IRCC has everything they require to process the application, it typically takes 45 days to process PR cards for new applicants. Processing time for renewed cards can take up to 104 days.

While awaiting Canadian permanent residency, is it possible to remain in Canada?

Yes, provided that your status continues to be legal. Only those having temporary residency status are allowed to remain in Canada for the allotted amount of time. While you are awaiting the approval of your Canada PR status, this must continue to be in effect.

If I have Canadian PR, do I need a visa?

No. You don't need a visitor's visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada. However, it is advised that you always travel with your PR card on you.

After a year, are I eligible for PR in Canada?

Yes. There are several methods to do this, but if you don't qualify for an immigration program, getting a Canada work visa or studying for a year in Canada and applying for a Post-graduate Work Permit may be your best option (PGWPP). You can apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class once you have at least a year of work experience in Canada (CEC).

Can I obtain permanent residence in Canada after completing a two-year program and studying there?

No, although pursuing a degree in Canada may pave the way for eventual permanent residence. Through initiatives like the Post Graduate Work Permit Program, all students who have finished at least an eight-month course of study at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) may be qualified to apply to stay and work in Canada (PGWPP).

As a result, you will be able to acquire the required Canadian work experience to apply for Canadian permanent residence through initiatives like the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

Do I qualify for U.S. PR to travel there?

Unless they come from a nation that participates in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), meets the conditions, and intends to travel to the U.S. for 90 days or less, all Canadian permanent residents will require a nonimmigrant visa to enter the country.

With Canadian PR, am I able to work in the US?

No. With a Canada PR card, you are unable to work in the USA. As a permanent resident of Canada, you require a U.S. visa in order to work there. However, the North American Free Trade Agreement allows you to work in Canada once you become a citizen of that country (NAFTA). You must have resided in Canada for at least five years.

Which nations may I visit with my Canadian PR Card?

Being a Canadian permanent resident has several advantages, including those you enjoy both inside and outside of Canada. If you enjoy traveling, just having a Canada PR will allow you to visit the following nations without a visa:

- all of the Dutch Caribbean countries (90 days)

- Anguilla (maximum 3 months) (maximum 3 months)

- Bahamas (90 days) (90 days)

- Bermuda (maximum 6 months) (maximum 6 months)

- UK Virgin Islands (up to 6 months)

- Islands of Cayman (60 days)

- In Costa Rica (30 days, PR card must be valid for more than six months)

- Cuba (30 days, PR card, and a current and valid passport required) (30 days, PR card, and a current and valid passport required)

- Republic of Dominica (60 days)

- South America (not applicable to all nationalities)

- Guatemala (not applicable to all nationalities) (not applicable to all nationalities)

- Honduras (not applicable to all nationalities) (not applicable to all nationalities)

- Jamaica (up to 6 months) (up to 6 months)

- Mexico (6 months) (6 months)

- Nicaragua (90 days within 180 days, not applicable to all nationalities) (90 days within 180 days, not applicable to all nationalities)

- Panama (30 days or 180 days) (30 days or 180 days)

- Philippines (30 days) (30 days)

- Qatar (30 days) (30 days)

- Korea, South (30 days when in transit, not applicable to all nationalities)

- Taiwan (30 days, online registration required, only applicable to specific countries) (30 days, online registration required, only applicable to certain nationalities)

- Islands of Turks and Caicos (90 days)

Navigating the Canadian immigration system can be challenging due to the numerous forms and paperwork that must be filled out and the deadlines that must be met for submission.

However, it is why we are here. We make moving overseas less stressful and time-consuming at Swis Immigration.

Our licensed RCICs (Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants) are available to assess your eligibility, go over all of the required paperwork, and submit it all on your behalf.

You will have the best chance of receiving an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residency in Canada if you use an RCIC, and the procedure will be straightforward and stress-free. While you are ready to fulfill your Canadian goal and finally become a permanent resident of Canada, we take care of the paperwork. That's how easy it is.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Add Comment *



Consultations for prospective immigrants

We are authorized by the License No. 354/MC-1/MA.We have full authorizations to control the process of any kind of Immigration matter. Make an appointment now for more details

Get Consultation
iccrc img